Whilst on the train this morning and trying to think of upcoming posts it occurred to me that I should write about my experiences. So here it goes, here are some of my top tips for travelling around London.
- Wear layers of clothing - it may be cold outside but it will be boiling hot on the tubes (London Underground).
Make sure your bag has zips - there can be pickpockets (as with any place).
Bring a fold away carrier bag - this is great for when you visit Oxford Street and they don't take up too much space I'm your bag.
Pack a travel charger - good to have if your phone is running low on juice.
When going down escalators always stick to the correct side which is the right hand side, if you unsure they will normally have a sign on the wall. The left side is for fast people and busy Londoners, if you don't wish to be trampled or heavily tutted at I would stick to the right.
- If you go on the tube and you have a backpack, please put it on the floor in between your feet, I say this for all short people who have experienced being smacked in the face with a bag.
- Bring hand sanitizer, London is filled with lots of people and lots of germs.
Get your oyster card out ready when you get off the train, you don't want to be the person holding everyone up at the turnstile.
- No matter how much of a rush you are in, don't rush through the turnstile; if it closes on you - it hurts.
- If you have long hair and are planning on taking the tube then I would suggest putting your hair up. It is too hot in there without having the extra 'scarf', also if it becomes static it will stick to everyone around you.
- Wear flat shoes. London is smaller than you think and you can sometimes walk to a different tube station quicker than to wait the queue to get on. It also allows you to get some 'fresh' (as much as London can get) air and avoid being crammed on the train. Also you may notice that lots of professionals wear trainers with their expensive suits.
I hope these tips will help if you are travelling around London. If you have any useful advise for travelling around London please let me know in the comments below.